Tuesday, May 13, 2008

what type of jack@ss would want to race a volvo?

So me and my sleep deprived hair were coming back from the Uptown Theater (saw "Son of Rambow". Funny movie about two very different boys who become friends in England - check it out). So on the way back, I guy in a red Lotus Exige (just like the one in the photo on the left) was roaring down Hennepin Ave. He pulled up next to me at the light and - I am not making this up - challenged me to a race.

He reved up his engine (which was impressive). I thought he was just screwing around, showing off his car to impress the girls. But he was looking at me. He was giving me the nod - he wanted to race me.

What type of jack@ss would want to race a guy in a Volvo?

Now, granted, it is a TURBO Volvo, but it is still a Volvo.  The Lotus Exige, for comparison sake, has a 218 HP engine vs about 150 HP for me.  The Lotus weighs about 2000 lbs, the Volvo over 4000 (without me in the car).  The Lotus has a 0-60 of 4.1 seconds; the Volvo is considerably slower, and even if it was faster, who would look at a Volvo and think "I got a drag racer here!"  Plus - who drag races anymore?  "American Graffiti" came out almost 35 years ago and took place over 45 years ago.  Drag racing doesn't happen too often, and certainly not down on the busiest streets in town where you can't go more than a quarter mile without a light stopping you.

Freaking weird @ss people with too much money and too little sense.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

did the driver of the car have any hair? mid-life crisis I am assuming