Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Sleep Deprived Hair

This morning I had to get up early for a meeting.  I am not sure what time it was - something around 5:30 am I think - the whole day started hazy.  It wouldn't have been so bad, but I was up kinda late and I had trouble sleeping.  When the alarm went off, I did not want to get up.

But I did.  I somehow made it to the bathroom and got the water started.  I was still halfway asleep; I was really going through the motions.  It took a while for the hot water to come on but eventually it did.  When I got in the shower, and started getting my hair wet, I noticed it did not feel right at all.  It was like I was wearing a wig.  It didn't feel it was real hair, but considering how far out of it I was this morning, I figured it was just me being tired.

I went through the same motions I do every morning:  same routine, same shampoo and conditioner, same "product", but my hair did not turn out the same.  I had some serious f-ed up afro brillo head problems today.  I won't lie - my hair was off.  I couldn't figure out why; all the steps were the same, except for one thing.  Could it be my hair was sleep deprived?

If I haven't had enough sleep, there are some physical symptoms I can see in myself.  Eyes a bit droopy and lacking life, my posture is generally bad, muscle tone in the arms is non-existent.   All of this happens if I don't have a good nights sleep.  Could this effect manifest itself in my hair?  It seems really odd and highly improbable, but then again.... why wouldn't it?

If anyone has any thoughts on this please let me know.  I am heading out now, wearing a hat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Um, not sure what to say to this one! Surprised you didn't launch in to your "hair growing/calorie burning argument." I'm sure your hair looked fine once you got in to the office.