Friday, October 02, 2009

Revenge of the interviewed!


Thursday I had another internal interview. I was surprised to get an email about this job. Actually, I was surprised the email I got about the job was an invitation to discuss it. I thought the note I received would have been a rejection. I'll explain why:

First, it was for a job that was listed several job grades above my level; the fellow who had the job was an internal legend who was just promoted to Director (which at my employer is equivalent to being elected Pope). Second, it was in the Automotive division, one which I have never worked nor had any contact. Granted I do drive a car, but that doesn't qualify as industry experience. Lastly, it was managing the adhesives portfolio, which I have not marketed. Those of you who know me know of my fondness for tape (such a fun toy!), and during the slow hours of trade shows, I have used the adhesive guns to create complex structures of wood and ear plugs. But that is really more of arts and crafts activity and not really marketing (close, but not quite).

So why was I selected to discuss this position? I have no idea. I didn't think my chances were good to get this job, so I spent absolutely zero time preparing. I was chosen for a reason, or as a mistake; either way I could not reasonably address these gaps in the 36 hours between being notified and the interview. Instead, my "prep" involved having a coke and a pack of twix bars.

Adding to my handicap, I forgot an umbrella, so both me and my suit got thoroughly wet. Even after toweling off, I smelled like dog. So with all this going against me, I went in to meet the Director. She was very nice and pleasant, but direct and a bit hurried; she was leaving for three weeks in Asia the next day. She asked me before we get started, do I have any questions?

I couldn't resist.

"Yes, one. Why are you interviewing me?"

I don't know why I said it. I do have a tendency to state the obvious, or ask the simple questions that we should know the answer to, but that we often don't. Or, maybe it was just the frustration of the job search; I had lost out on a job the previous week, which I thought I would have been an obvious choice. Whatever my reason was, I put the questions down as a strike back for all of us who are looking for jobs and have had to put up with this mindless, painful process.

Needless to say, that was not the question she was expecting. She was a bit surprised, until I pointed out the reasons I was not a fit. Then something remarkable happened. She then looked at the notes she had made on my resume and says, "yes, now I remember. I thought you would be a good fit because..." and she then proceed to tell me why I was right for a position for which I am clearly under qualified (not to mention that I smell like wet dog).

I have been told that the secret to interviewing is to get the interviewer to like you, that way they will be more forgiving of the parts of your background that do not fit. I think I did the next best thing; I got her to tell me why I was the right fit for the job.

The rest of the interview went well. We talked about the challenges of the auto industry; I was fairly up yo date on what was going on thanks to "The Economist" (turns out we are both junkies of that publication).

I have no idea how it will go or if I will get this job. I have had better interviews, but none where I felt so relaxed. I'll see how that goes - if nothing else, it was worth a shot.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nicely done! Keep us updated.

Talk about doing things outside of your comfort zone - I'm proud of you.