Thursday, September 04, 2008

Under the microscope

Last night I went to downtown St. Paul to catch some of the activity surround the RNC and all the foolishness of the anarchists. Sadly (?) it was disappointing. I have easy access to gas masks, so I was kinda hoping something might happen - I think it would have made for a fun posting for the blog. Instead, all I saw there was a ton of cops and some silly protesters, and not much else. I think they were mainly locals. They were all very respectful and nice.

The biggest incident almost was caused by me. In the crowd behind the CNN outdoor stage, a woman was holding a sign saying "9/11 was an inside job". I wanted to punch her in the mouth, really hard. I have never thought of hitting a woman, but at the time, I thought it was a really good idea for my friend Dan McNeal and all the other people who died that day. I didn't though. I walked off all my anger by going the long, LONG, way around the Xcel center to meet Liz for a beer (or two).

I got home to watch Sarah Palin's speech. I thought she did a good job - better than I expected. I though she was a token female pick at first. But after hearing her story - mother of a pregnant teen, a son who is going to Iraq, and a child with health problems - I realized she has more in common with middle America and a better understanding of their problems then either of the presidential picks.

When she was talking about her kids, I was trying to figure out who the dude was sitting next to her daughter. After she introduced her son who is going to Iraq, I (slowly) realized that the other guy must be her daughters baby-daddy. Yep, Levi Johnston himself. I don't know that I would have wanted him on stage. I don't know whose call that was, but I can not think of it as a "good idea". Last week this was a minor scandal in a minor state; now he is on display for America to see.

I thought back to when I was in high school and picking up dates and having to meet their father. Nothing in a young man's life is more terrifying or character building. All men dread and fear the punks who ask out their daughters because they know they know these young men have only one thing on their mind. I have been warning my niece since the time she was born that outside of daddy, all boys are bad and should be avoided. They can't be trusted, I tell her, but does she listen. No. She smiles and laughs. My hair turns grey.

To Barack Obama's credit, he has said this subject is off limits. Still, everyone knows. With all of America watching I had to think to myself "Yeah, in comparison, I didn't have to put up with jack s#it as a teen."

No comments: