Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Fratellis


This has been a good week for concerts for me. Last night I got to see Journey at the Target Center, with their new lead singer Arnel "the Thriller from Manila" Pineda.

I had read the stories about how they discovered him on YouTube from his concerts in the Philippines. I read that he was good, and could almost perfectly imitate the vocals of former Journey front man Steve Perry. After seeing him live, I think he is better. When he sang, I thought it was Steve Perry - aside from the fact Arnel looked to be about 4' 10", he didn't have a mullet, and that he is from the Philippines. But beyond that, he was spot on. What really set him apart is this guy put on a show. I have never been to a night club in Manila, but I imagine you better be entertaining, fast, or you will not last long.

Whenever I think of Journey, and specifically the song "Lovin, Touchin, Feelin" I think back to the time I tried to sing along in the car on the way to work. It was somewhere about the point when I tried to hit the really high notes, that a noticed the car next to me. It was filled with four women with whom I worked. They were watching me. And cheering. It was embarrassing. I was leaving that job in a few weeks to go to grad school. I never said goodbye to them or anyone else on that side of the floor.

It was fun going to a show where I was younger than the average age of the audience. It was a total MILF-fest last night, with drunken suburbanites everywhere. At least they used lighters instead of their cell phones to light up the arena. Never liked that change - back in my day, you burned your fingers to show your appreciation for the band (dadgumit!). The average age also had an unintended benefit. I got carded - sorta. I was asked for my ID when I got a beer. I asked if he was carding everybody; he said "basically, but you have a young face." I am not sure if that counts or not. I think it will.

But for me, the real concert hit was the week before, when I saw The Fratellis at First Ave. Thanks to Minnesota's Public Radio station, The Current, I first heard this band play. Based on one song I bought the album. Then their second release. They have quickly become my new favorite band.

The Fratellis are a Scottish trio, who started playing together just a few years ago. They quickly got signed by a label, put out an album that went to #2 in the UK in 3 weeks, won the award for Best British Breakthrough band. They have been very successful in a very short time together. In terms of sound, they have a sound which is not extremely different than any other alternative bands. I think what makes them great is they understand music is supposed to be fun.

To paraphrase the B52's, Rock and Roll is not supposed to be depressing; it is supposed to be entertaining, a bit silly and always fun. In comparison, practically every Journey song was a long slow ballad, very sappy and pulling at the emotions. All their songs, while memorable and crowd favorites, could all be classified as cheesy and are open for ridicule. We like the Journey songs, but we hate to admit it. We live in fear that someone will see us singing along (or run and hide after we have been caught).

The Fratellis have no slow, sad ballads, no angst ridden songs, no anger, just songs you want to hear again and again. Plus, they have fun when they play. I encourage everyone who hasn't seen a good show in a while, check them out. For any of my good friends, go see them, and if you don't enjoy yourself, I will personally refund the price of admission. You will not be disappointed.

Enjoy

www.thefratellis.com

No comments: