Sunday, May 01, 2011

So Osama bid Laden is dead...so why am I worried?


So the news is being relayed around the world. Apparently Osama bid Laden is dead. So why I am so worried and why do I think this doesn't make one bit of difference?

Yes, he is (was) a horrible person. Yes, he declared war on the US and yes, I am glad he is gone. But so what? He was one man in charge or an organization that was (and still is) hellbent on destroying the USA. Their figurehead leader is gone, but the threat still remains.

Sorry CNN, I do not see what this does to improve USA's "prestige" in the world. It took the USA, the lone superpower (for now) - both economically and militarily - almost a decade to kill one man. How this improves our stature, much less secures the world, I do not know. His control over the al Qaida organization was questionable. Post 9/11, how many terrorist attacks can be attributed to him? Did he personally orchestrate and plan all these attacks, or was he a figurehead, a symbol of anti-Americanism? The USA has in effect martyred this madman. His death will be a recruiting tool to would be terrorist around the world. Al Qaida's war against the USA is not over. It will be fragmented among many potential leaders, many of who we do not know.

Today, I am happy for the families of folks who died on 9/11 (RIP Dan McNeal). I am very proud of the troops who have fought and died overseas for the last 10 years in search of this madman. Yes, the world is a better place that he is no longer here, but now I am worried. We don't know what to expect next.

On Sept 11, 2001, there was the sense of surprise and fear: we were attacked without reason or cause and from an unknown enemy. Today, I fear the same will happen again.

No comments: