Friday, May 20, 2011

So what....

Today I am beat up and physically sore.

I have been trying to get into good shape, particularly the cardiovascular, which for me is, well, lacking. About a year and a half ago I changed my workout routine to CrossFit St. Paul, and it has been an improvement. The workouts have been brutal, and I still have a ways to go, but I have been happy with the progress. That was, until Wednesday's workout: the 1/4 mile walking lunges of death workout. It was a good workout, but my legs are shot. To borrow a quote from Lili von Shtupp, "everything below the waist is kaput".

Today as I hobble around, aching every time I sit (or stand, or walk), I had to ask myself, so what if tomorrow really is the rapture?

First off, I don't believe the faithful will leave our world at 6pm Saturday May 21, 2011. But if it does happen, what would I have done differently? Top of my list, I would not have done that d@mn walking lunges workout which has made it difficult to get around. Second, I think I would have stopped working out altogether, and probably ate a lot more junk food (tonight's nights dinner: bacon flavored spray cheese and wine!). That is the beauty of knowing when things will end. It removes a lot of personal responsibility and accountability for your actions. Had I know absolutely and without question that tomorrow would be the day, I would have engaged in a lot more reckless activities. I would have picked up smoking, or hard core drugs. It wouldn't matter - it was all going to end soon. Also, I wouldn't have bothered with saving for retirement or any sort of other financial planning. I would have spent like a drunken sailor.

After that, I am not sure. There are things I would like to change about myself, or that I would have liked to try, too. The good news is there is still time. There is nothing stopping me from making any of these changes, except myself. So while I think the rapture believers are a bit nutty, at least they have provided a good reminder to reevaluate your life, even if it is for the wackiest of reasons. A little introspection is good now and then.

Also, I will be traveling most of next week, so chances I won't see many of you. Do not take this as a sign I have left you behind.

No comments: