Thursday, August 20, 2009

Pulling a Costanza on the job search

Latest on the job search for me - oh, where to begin. Last Friday was to be my last day; I had been extended on a special project, in a different division. It was a good project, and I had a lot of fun, but it was not going to be a full time job. I knew the last day was coming, and that was to be last Friday.  

However, last week a ton (relatively speaking) of internal jobs came up, but because of the short timeline, I didn't think there would be any chance for me to interview or get them before my last day (Aug 14). The good news for me was my HR manager knew the hiring manager for one of them, and as it turns out I was one of their top candidates.  She was able to get me an interview with him Thursday. I found out late Friday that I would be getting at least a weeks extension for formally interviewing for this job. Yes, cutting it close, again.
I was expecting to have interviews this week, but so far, nothing. I know the guy was busy, but I was hoping to at least get the interviews scheduled. In the meantime, I was able to get an informational interviewed for another job that I had applied to that I found very interesting. This job search for me has all about doing things I am not comfortable doing. In the immortal words of George Costanza, I am doing the complete opposite of my natural instincts in the job search, and it is serving me very well.  

For example, when I found out my job had been eliminated, my natural instinct would have been not to tell anyone about it. But what good would that have done? What is the point? So, I pulled a Costanza, did the complete opposite, and told everybody. Turns out, that is what got me my temporary assignment and kept me employed for three more months. Yeah, I would say that worked out well for me.

So, when this latest job popped up I figured I wouldn't have the time to interview, so I was going to let it go without pushing on it. But then again, why do that? Time to pull another Costanza. I not only called the hiring manager to make my case, but I set up an informational interview with him on Monday - during his only free 30 minutes he had during the entire day. I was not expecting him to accept, or if he did, I figured he would not have time to meet. Whatever - what is the worst that can happen - I don't get the job?  Turns out he did accept the invite and we did meet, and we got along great. He wants to bring me in for interviews next week.

I have no idea where this will go. I am scheduled to have my last day (again - the fifth one), Friday. It may extend for another week - maybe not. Something else might come up to extend it further. Whatever happens, I will be doing the opposite of what I think I should be doing when it comes to finding a job.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I want to point out that is out I ended up in Minnesota. By applying and then accepting to go to law school in a region that I had no ties and never would have thought even in my wildest dreams. 13 years later, a wife, a house in the 'burbs, two dogs and a little one on the way . . . Go Costanza.