Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Anoop: my good luck charm

One other note on the job search has been the the role of another good friend here at work: Anoop. Anoop, or as we like to call him, Snoop or Snoop Dog, has had a profound impact on my career here and for my reasons in being in Minnesota.

Nine years ago, my first phone interviews were with Anoop, and he was the one who recommended bringing me up for final rounds. When I joined, Snoop became my first manager. He moved onto another job, but we have tried to keep in touch.

Up till May 14th, we had not had lunch or chatted together for a while. I remember the date, because it was to be the day before my last day of work. The next day, however, my extension came through for another 30 days.

Snoop, still feeling some lingering managerial responsibility for me, scheduled a follow up lunch for about 30 days out to see how I was doing. That was last Wednesday. The next day, I found out extension number two came through. Coincidence? I think not.

My new last day, is July 31st. I have lunch scheduled with him for earlier that week. Also, he is on notice that he needs to be on standby in case I get an interview. Meeting with him has resulted in me getting a paycheck; that is a streak I am looking to continue

Thanks Snoop

No comments: