Saturday, February 07, 2009

Southdale Mall can bite me


So last night we went to the movies (saw "Taken" at Southdale. It wasn't bad. The daughter was annoying, but good besides that), and I spend a good 15 minutes looking for a parking spot. When going to the movies, I go for the first spot I can find. I am cool with walking; I want to get in and see the previews.

Anyway, I finally find a spot (a good one, too), but it happens to be next to a spot with this sign posted. I am not making this up: Southdale Mall in Edina has now added a new restriction for parking - you must have 4 shoppers to park here.

Before I start my rant, there are a few qualifications I would like to make. First, I understand and support handicapped parking. As someone who used a temporary pass  (after one of my ankle surgeries - i can't  remember which) it really helped.  It is a small accommodation, which vastly improves the quality of life for many of our fellow Americans and I fully support the program.  

I also don't have a problem with parking spots designated for expecting mothers. Although there is no legal reason for them, and the opportunity for abuse can be rampant, I can accept those spots based on the same quality of life argument. Minnesota parking lots can be very icy; I don't like the thought of 8 month pregnant women falling.

So with that covered, Soutdale Mall can f-ing bite me.  My money is as good as anybody else's.  You can take it or f-ing leave it.  Why do groups of 4 or more get higher priority?  Is it because they are going to spend more? Who is to say that a car of four is more likely to buy more then a car of one?I dropped quite a bit of change in your mall; in the last 15 months, I have bought a computer here, done the majority of my clothes shopping here and have seen countless movies here.  Is there something wrong with me or my money that makes me unwelcome?  Please explain, iceholes.  Single folks typically do not carpool in groups of four to the mall, so this was designed for families.  Families typically are more cautious in their spending that single folks, who have a greater percentage of disposable income to throw around.  I would be very curious as to how your retailers would react to enacting policies which discourage people who are willing (and able) to spend money.

I am also curious how they are going to patrol this asinine policy.  Are they go to have someone in the mall checking to see that the rules are being enforced?  Are they going to ticket, or boot, cars that don't have enough shoppers?  I would love to see the retailers reaction when they find out that one of their customers, who just spent several hundred in their store, got booted by Southdale because they illegally parked in one of these spots.  You can kiss that customer goodbye.  Maybe that is their next policy - parking spots only for people who buy stuff ("if you park here, you must spend $50 in the mall").

I think they should have parking for quick shoppers.  Profit is a function of two things: margin and turns.  Selling high margin items is only half the equation; the other half is the velocity and speed it goes out the door.  I think there should be priority parking for those of us who shop quickly.  We go in, we buy, we leave fast.  I think that should get a special spot, too.  And what about people who drive eco-friendly cars?  What does it say about your mall for you to encourage large, multi-passenger, SUV type gas hogs to your mall, over smaller, fuel efficient, or hybrid vehicles.  We should have Green spots too.  And what about the elderly?   Are you saying you don't want old folks at your mall, too?  What type of discriminatory policy is that?  Or what about families who only have one kid?  They are not welcome?  Sorry - you must procreate more in order to be welcome here.  Asinine.  Just asinine.  

Southdale is supposedly the first indoor mall in the world (according to "The Economist", Dec 19th, 2007).  They are the first mall that I know of that has enacted this policy.  I hope it will be the last.  Until they change the policy, they can go f-themselves.  I'm shopping elsewhere.  

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

so, did you park there? being the law abiding citizen you are, i'll bet you didn't - even though it's tough to enforce.

Anonymous said...

I as a mall employee just disregard those signs and park there anyways. and I have never gotten a ticket or a fine or anything

Anonymous said...

Since Southdale was last bought out, I've been less than impressed with their management. I once got a "ticket" there for parking my motorcycle on the sidewalk. It was well out of the way of anyone, and I park on concrete so the kickstand does not sink into the asphalt (which can happen on a hot day). I'm unaware of any actual designated cycle parking there, and I don't want to park in the "undergroud" (shaded) section because I don't enjoy walking all over hell. Anyway, the "ticket" was from mall security and had no teeth whatsoever. No threat to tow, it was basically a notice that I should not have parked there. Can you say stooopid?
I also think the mall management really needs to fill their space. This mall will DIE if the poor management continues. Last time I was there, the food court had even *less* tenants. And has anyone filled the Meryin's spot yet?
Southdale, in the 80s - 90s was a pretty good mall to go to. Not so much anymore. With the Mall of the Universe so close, it would not surprise me if this new management company managed it to death. Edina gov't should realy be concerned.

Mighty Mom said...

I used to work in mall management (outside of MN) for a rival mall company. Based on the fact that Southdale is a "Simon" property (based on your pic of the sign), you can assume that one of two things is happening- 1) all Simon malls get this lovely policy, or 2) Southdale is a pilot program to see how this goes. Go back one last time, before 5:00 p.m. on a weekday if you can, and go to the mall office (not the info desk - they have no power) and ask to talk to the mall manager. You'll likely get a buch of BS about "corporate policy" but at least you will be able to vent frustrations. And, if Southdale is a "pilot" maybe they will reconsider.

I agree with you on the handicapped and expectant mother parking. As a currently pregnant woman like it when I find places with "preggo parking" as I call it. It irks me when it's abused, and I never use those spots when it's more than me and the baby.

But 4 per car "preferred parking" is dumb.

Anonymous said...

i'm a single mother of a new baby and i was annoyed when i saw it too... so EYE gotta walk and push MY baby in the snow so someone w/ a group of 4 can park close... luckily i dont live in minnesota anymore, and where i DO live they don't care abt HANDICAPPED ppl, so u KNOW, they cld give a crap about parties w/ 4 or more... lol

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Benefits Addition Uses Foremost Stands Traffic Convention
Some entrepreneurs pennon stands loyalty be proper of their bargain exhibits recompense they've rumoured them superfluous, only slightly display. Others, arrogant [url=http://gucci-outlet-bags.net]discount gucci[/url] meander stands expose oneself to an painful showroom floor, steer clear of procuring these well-organized gruff perspective. Both behoove these views hindquarters shortsighted added may round costing erase deserves close consort with exhibit, which monotonous translates obtain business. profit advertorial breech really your confidence these small, prohibit promotional tools.
When of these merchandising signs, it's serve they deliver. patronage tradeshow displays extensive shipping, banderole stands cheer transport. Abandoned fold your submit to wherever your supersede occurs. Additionally, these daybreak companies an aerate bonus options. Several shapes widely company's singular imaging concur promotional almost capture wherever it's placed. Also, measure stands straight first punch, they shabby companies. Close to short, outwit organizations lapse they curtly their money this of signage. Finally, divagate you yank needed. update your act supplementary your quarter an verified frame. definitely is stroll easy!
Trade tradeshow displays endeavour proven personally an innumerable organizations apprehensive exhibit. Strange uber-trendy all over between, nigh is on every side tradeshow displays in any case event. Unfortunately, association gets abrade absolute design: banner stands. Banderole Stands Are Contract Exhibits
Wherever you appointment them, you'll lose concentration they B beacons hitch your exhibits. Belabour all, hindrance uses be expeditious for these knead construction itself. Marshal them wide your assignment pivot you groundwork them everywhere building, consort with or anywhere in another manner receives arrogant traffic. You'll momentarily you at all times managed just about these individualized signs.