Thursday, February 05, 2009

The Jamesification of Jim


For some reason, I have undergone a name change here at work. I have gone from being called Jim to James. I don't know how this happened. I didn't ask for it, I didn't encourage it, but it is happening.

The only place at work where I have "asked" to be listed as James is in the Lotus Notes eMail system. When I joined, there was already a "Jim Miller", and a "Jim G. Miller" (my middle initial is "G"), but there was a "James G. Miller" available. So, for Lotus Notes, that is whom I became, and I have been apologizing for my parents lack of creativity every since.

Because that is how I am found in eMail, that is how my name is listed on my business card. Those are the only two places it is listed as James. But, whenever I give a card, or sign off on an email, I have always gone by Jim. I answer the phone as Jim. I introduce myself as Jim. The name tag on my office says Jim. It is well know, both in the division and the company that I go by Jim.

This all makes it very confusing as to why I am being called James.

The first person I can think of who called me this was my former Director. He did it more as a joke, I think. It was a mock-formality, that I think he was doing to me because, whenever he would ask me a question or interrupt me in a presentation, I always called him "sir" (Southern upbringing - it's ingrained). But then others started doing it. More and more folks. People who I have known for years have started calling me James. It is starting to bother me. Not so much the change in the name, but that this unwanted name change is being forced upon me.

The other day, I went to get my mail (and make sure my name tag was on the opposite side again - the glorious Revolution continues!). I found my name tag moved to the wrong side and my name tag changed to James. This worried me. There is little difference for someone to say "Jim" or "James"; in terms of effort, there is virtually no difference between the two. But for someone to actively go and change one of the official name tags for the official mail slots, that shows some serious commitment someone has to this conversion. I have to say, I am scared. Very scared.

Who knows what my name will be changed to next....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you just go by your middle name? I would bet that "Girl" Miller is available.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.