Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The best show on TV returns!


Tonight, Project Runway starts its 5th season. I am very excited, yet worried about its return. I think it is (or was) the best show on TV, but I am worried it might be jumping the shark this year.

I was coerced into watching the show originally, but soon I became hooked. Badly. It is one of the few shows I make a point of watching regularly. I think what hooked me at first was watching clothes being created. Creating clothing is an area where I have absolutely no skill or experience, yet, I wear clothes every day. It was fascinating to see how they were made, how the designs were created and watching a finished product being displayed. This is an area where I have no skill or ability, and it was mesmerizing to watch.

Then there was the drama. Lots of it. Fashion designers tend to be an emotional group - either positively or negatively. The contestants seem to fall on the extremes of an emotional spectrum, with one end dominated by the evil, bitchy, vindictive designers (e.g. Santino, Jeffrey, Christian) to the other extreme with the emotional train wrecks (e.g. Andre, Ricky) who can't stop crying. Plus, a healthy dose of odd, but humorous characters who make really good TV (e.g. Kayne, Chris Marsh).

Then there is Tim. As in Tim Gunn, Mr. Style himself. His arrogant and condescending tone are belied by the fact he is the nicest man on the show and possibly all reality TV. He is part co-host, part-coach, all friend to the stressed out designers. Of course, he can provide great unintentional comedy too. Tim's fondness for multi-syllabic words usually leaves the designers with that confused "what the f#ck?" look on their face.

I am worried that this show will not be able to maintain its same standards. Chinks are appearing. The whole show is going to be leaving for another channel. The finals for year 5 will not be at Bryant Park (at least the timing would suggest that it will not work out). Plus, the designers do not look that interesting. They look serious about fashion, not about providing great TV. I don't see any emotional train wrecks, but a lot of potential evil geniuses. A balance is needed to maintain success.

For those of you who are hooked, like me, please join me with the Project Runway season 5 elimination game. Pick your team each week - do check out the scoring system to see the impact of having one of your contestants cry.

Watch what happens!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thinking back, wasn't there a new year's day PR marathon viewing at your house instead of football? i'm just sayin' . . .