Monday, January 28, 2008

My good deed in Vegas

Last week I was in Vegas for a trade show (the "World of Concrete" show. I am not lying. There really is a trade show devoted to Concrete, and not surprisingly it is in Vegas). One night I hit the tables (okay - every night), and I got to perform a good deed.

I am at the Blackjack table with Rick the sales rep for Southern California (fun guy, fantastic hair, great Blackjack player). I am down at this point, needing a big rally. I have $10 on the table, and I get a winner. The dealer overpays me on the payoff. She puts down $15.

My guilty conscious won't let me take the extra cash. I point out the overpay to the dealer. At first she was shocked, but then she thanks me. The others at the table look at me in stunned disbelief. Rick gives me an expression which borders between thoughtful introspection and wanting to smack me in the head. He takes the moral upper hand and decides to applaud my gesture, albeit skeptically.

The next hand, I am dealt an ace and a king - blackjack. The hand after that I get a double down opportunity, which I win, along with the next two wins after that. Good deeds are rewarded.

God bless Vegas

1 comment:

The Tarry's said...

You are a saint. Turophile using mariah's account.