Tuesday, April 05, 2011

TV Dramas

Why would anyone want to watch a tv drama?

I was thinking about this Monday night, when I was bemoaning the fact "Big Bang Theory" was moved to Thursday, the NCAA Basketball game sucked (and not just because UNC wasn't in it), and the only thing good on TV was "Gone with the Wind." Watching all that disease and dying in the hospital reminded me how popular shows like "ER" and "St. Elsewhere" were in their days, and for the life of me I can't figure out why - why would anyone would ever watch those shows?


Doesn't everyone life have enough drama in it? (except mine - as of last week, I am problem free). Why would anyone want to become emotionally involved with the problems of others, who are (a) fictional and (b) don't give a crap about you?


Yeah, so, maybe it is good TV and well acted, but so are a lot of other things on TV. Why watch something which will ultimately be depressing? Comedy, sports, Mysteries, reality competitions, News (i suppose) seem like a better use of free time and escapism. Drama - we got that covered already. Why would anyone want more? Are there people going through their day going - yes, I need more emotional stress in my day, so I will assume the problems of fictional characters?


Weird.


Maybe I need to be a chick to understand this. Maybe people watch this in the hope that all their problems can be solved in one hour if they watch enough of these shows. If anyone has insight on the topic, I would love to hear it. In the meantime, I'll be watching SpongeBob reruns and laughing my @ss off while you cry into your remote.


Happy watching!

2 comments:

Turophile said...

Let's see - my regular TV programs: Desperate Housewives, Brothers & Sisters, and Grey's Anatomy (though that musical episode last week may have jumped the shark). Love ER in the early years. When I was younger L.A. Law and St. Elsewhere were also favorite. Many reasons I enjoy them but too tired to type them. Maybe I'll explain over beer sometime.

Turophile said...

Oh yeah, and maybe you can explain the appeal of reality tv shows, which I really don't get. I especially don't understand why people like watching the contestants being interviewed. The contestants tend to be idiots .. . why would I care what they think?
Oh, and I can't believe I forgot my favorite all time drama ever - - West Wing!! Battlestar Galactica (the newer version) probably should also be on the list.