Saturday, January 03, 2009

Boycotting man-made systems of time


On Dec 30, 2008, at 9:07pm (Central Time), I declared that I was boycotting all man-made conventions of time and date, as they are completely arbitrary.  I further declared they would have no further basis in my version of reality.

This has now been in effect for 3 1/2 sunrises, and it has been great.  I am no longer late for anything.

Now, before you think I have completely gone off the deep end, let me explain. I understand the concept of time and its passage.  It is just the conventions that have been formed and accepted by everyone seem a bit arbitrary.  For instance, the start of the new year.

There is no astrological reason that the new year should start on January 1.  Most cultures, previous to the Gregorian calendar, celebrated the start of the new year on either the solstice (winter usually) or the equinox.  Why January 1 was chosen, I do not know.  Wikipedia didn't have a good answer either, aside from the Roman's picked this date in 153 BC, even though the modern calendar was in use.  So why?

I for one, have had enough.  There is no sense as to why it should be this date, just like there is no reason that Christmas should be December 25th.  It was a convenient date chosen to appeal to pagans and convert them to Christianity.  This doesn't diminish the day, but it raises another question as to why this day was picked and why we insist upon it.

I feel quite liberated freeing myself from dates and times.  Granted, I foresee some problems.  Seeing the start of a movie will be tough, and getting to meetings at work will be a bitch (but there is some upside to missing those).  Meanwhile, I hope others will join me in my quest.

I hope all of you are having a good start to your "year"
  

No comments: