Tuesday, November 04, 2008

My election streak


Although the final results are not yet in, I have declared that Barack Obama will be the 44th President of the United States.  I have not seen any of the election results yet; I base this on my own personal streak.  I voted for McCain.

I have never voted for the Presidential winner, ever, and I suspect the same will happen again tonight.  Once I voted for a candidate that actually won my state, but that was as close as I have ever been.  So based on this history, I predict we will be inaugurating President Obama in January.

To those I have spoken to about the election, I have tried to be clear in my choice.  I think McCain is the better qualified candidate with better instincts and a history of sticking to his principles, wether or not they fit the party line.  The Democratic Party did a great job of deflating his accomplishments and moderate stances (remember:  Pro-Abortion, Pro-Immigration), and linking him to Bush 43.  McCain has faults; his selection of Palin was and is tough to stomach, but ultimately, I thought he was the better choice.

I will have no problem with President Obama.  In terms of foreign relationships, he will do much to repair the damage caused by his predecessor.  I like his speeches and I feel good about myself when I hear him talk.  His inexperience scares me, however.  To quote "The Economist" (Nov 1st, 2008), "Most of the hoopla about him [Obama] has been about what he is, rather than what he would do."  His policies are often naive, which wouldn't bother me except that the current leaders of the Democratic Party frighten me even more.  The performance of Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and Howard Dean disappoints to say the least; calling that trio "not bright" is an insult to stupidity, and I don't see Obama standing up against them.  That scares me.  I hope I am wrong.  

Until 2012, my streak will remain intact.  Good night and good democracy to us all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you and the Redskins game at home before the election streak. 18 of 19 times their record has been as follows: they lose at home, Dems win, they win at home, Republicans win.