Sunday, November 02, 2008

Frequent Driver Lane


I hate driving to St. Paul on the weekend.

I drive through St. Paul, twice a day, on the way to work and the way back. I have been making this drive for years, usually only at these times. Most people at work are amazed that I make this drive, thinking it is like going to the other side of the world, but it honestly not that bad. It takes about 20-25 minutes to get to work in the morning, a bit longer going home (depending on when you go). Compared to the 10-15 minutes drive to get to Woodbury and the dreaded burbs, it is a small price to pay.

The reason I hate driving to St. Paul on the weekends is that the roads are filled with the classic Sunday drivers. It is filled with really big, slow moving cars, that have no compression that slower traffic should stay in the right hand lanes. They don't know when the turns are coming up, where the traffic merges or when a lane ends. The drive aimlessly, like blindfolded lemmings.

As you have guessed, I have no patience for this behavior. I tend to drive too fast and aggressively. On weekday mornings and nights, this is not a problem. Everyone else is driving like me, too. The slower drivers have the good sense to get into the right lane. Those of us who travel this road every day know what they are doing and how to get through the twist, turns and merges as quickly as possible. It is like the security lines at the airport; experienced travelers know the drill, they know what to do, and how to get through the line as fast as possible. They are the frequent travelers, and they have been given a special lane to reflect this.

This is what I think we need for I-94 on the weekend: a frequent driver lane. A special lane for those of us who travel down this road every day, who know the routine (the twists, turns and exits). I don't think there will be a need to segregate the level of service, like (former) Northwest Airline does with Silver, Gold and Platinum status, but some designation I think would be appropriate so I could get to my destination quicker. I think that would be fair.

And yes, someday I will share my tips for getting through airport security. I have learned and watched from the best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

like those TSA "Expert Traveller" lines that no one enforces. Don't ever get fooled by that line in Orlando. The whole family wearing Mickey Mouse ears is a dead giveaway that they are NOT Expert Travellers.