Saturday, April 26, 2008

My Left Foot


Tuesday night I had my first game of our Spring Soccer team.  I had not played soccer since rec leagues in college, till this past winter when I joined an indoor league.  I am not good.  I am a bit of a thug on the pitch, but I play with heart and I had fun.  After the winter league, most of the team decided to do a spring league.  We had a few weeks off, enough time to get out of game shape, but we figured about everyone would be in the same boat.  About 30 seconds after I get into the game, I go down with a twisted left ankle.

All the signs were there that this would happen.  I wasn't playing with cleats, first off.  Looking at the turf like surface, I made the comment before the game that I needed to get a pair.  I was speaking with someone about all the injuries that one member of our team had last season (for some strange reason she decided not to rejoin us this Spring).  

It all happened very fast, but when I felt the twinge, I fell to the ground like a sack of potatoes.  Fortunately, I was able to get off the field quickly, there was ice available, plus helpful teammates and league folks to help me elevate my foot.  After I got past the initial shock, I had a feeling this was only a sprain and nothing more serious.  After the game, I limped back to my car and drove home.  Fortunately, this was the left ankle, so I could drive without any real difficulties.

Now, all of this is very ironic in that for the past few years I have had problems with my right ankle.  I have had bone spurs removed and tendon surgery on the right foot.  Twice.  My right foot is doing fairly well now, though I still wear the brace and occasionally have pain after exercise.   Now I have a problem with the left ankle.

Because of this history, I think I have been favoring my left foot.  It has been the trooper for several years now. When the right has gone down, it has been the left foot who carried the load.  I think while righty was out of commission, lefty used this time to get stronger. I mastered the one foot hop for going up and down stairs.  If standing for an extended period, lefty takes on the load and gives righty a break (he's not heavy, he's my brother).  

Now lefty is down; it is time for righty to shine.  He has been coasting for too long and letting others carry the burden for him.  Now it is time for righty to step it up.

(Speaking of Step it Up, has anyone seen the new reality dance show on Bravo "Step it Up and Dance" with host Elisabeth Berkley?  I haven't.  After "Showgirls", it is really hard for me to take Elisabeth Berkley seriously about anything.  I don't think anyone else can either.  Speaking for the male half of the population, I don't think of us can look at her and not think of her nekid on stage dancing.  I am sure it happens with every guy she ever runs into anywhere.  I am sure the bag boys at the grocery store smirk when they see her in the checkout line; she just can't escape it.) 

Alas, I digress.

I got my left foot x-rayed at work.  Apparently we have some amazing medical facilities for employees, including digital x-ray equipment.  No plates - all digital.  My left ankle was not broken, but it was a class 2 sprain.   I am not sure what that means.  All I know is the basics of what to do - the RICE method:  Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.  I have crutches, canes, bandages and other items I have accumulated in righty's recovery, so I was well prepared.

After a few days, the recovery is coming along well with lefty.  More importantly, righty seems to be pulling its weight for the team.  This was the challenge it needed to reassert itself.  I will probably be out of commission for another week or so, but hopefully I will be able to play a few games of soccer this season.   By then, righty and lefty will hopefully be working together as a team - a rainbow coalition of the feet.  

Peace and brotherhood to all.

1 comment:

bmr said...

Righty? So... Many... Inappropriate... Comments... Can't... Hold... Back...