Sunday, June 08, 2008

Taking a stand on bare feet


Since when did it become socially acceptable to expose your bare smelly feet in airports?

I'm not talking about ladies taking off their heels, or gentleman removing their incredibly stylish, but not broken in dress shoes, once passengers have boarded a plane for takeoff (I don't like this and I am not comfortable with it personally, but I have made peace with those who choose to practice this behavior.)

No, I am talking about people who take off their shoes and socks while inside the airport. This is not kids or teenagers, but grown men in their 50's or older. This past week, in Chicago, Indianapolis and Charlotte I have seen the same scene repeatedly. Grown adults, waiting to board planes, socks and shoes on the ground in front of them.

What in the good earth would make otherwise reasonably looking adults think that the world would be a better place because of their foot odor? Baffling. Slipping off flip flops I could see, but removing shoes and socks in a public place… it is either presumptuous, offensive, or naïve. Or a combo of all of the above. Call me a germ-a-phobe, but do you have any idea what has been on the floors (and what has been tracked across them by rolling bags, wheelchairs and motorized assistance carts). But even worse, what does this say about the society we live in when people are unwilling to spare others from the offensive odors emanating from their feet.

I admit I am repressed on some matters. I still have difficulty flying while wearing short pants. This is my opinion, but I think the practice of shorts and flying do not mix, unless you are a kid. But shoes? I can't imagine my father every putting on a pair of shorts, going to the airport, but before getting on the plane saying, "hey wait, I gotta take off my shoes and spread some odors!"

It is time to take a stand. I think the next time I see an otherwise reasonable looking adult, sans shoes, I think I will sniff the air in front of them and say "Mmmm….roses!"

Even if the message doesn't get across, at least I can clear the air of my feelings on the matter.

No comments: