Monday, December 10, 2007

Quien es mas 80's?


On my ride home today, as I try to avoid Christmas music, I listened to a collection of 80's music.  I have a weakness for 80's tunes, particularly the one hit wonders.  The really bad ones have a special place in my heart.  I don't know what it is - the hair, the bad outfits, the cheesy lyrics.  Or, it could be based on my friend Dave T's theory of music:  We all believe that popular music hits its peak when we are in High School.  
So I started thinking what band best exemplifies all that was good (and bad) with 80's music?  To answer this question, a few clarifications.  I think of 80's music as the New Wave bands of the UK and their US imitators.  They are typically one hit, or one album fads, that fade out.  Bands like U2 and the Police, while both immensely popular during this time don't qualify.  They both had musical prowess, that went beyond this fad.   Other American bands, like Van Halen, which peaked in the early 80's (admit it - they peaked with "1984".  Claims of liking the Van Hager era music are just a rationalization for buying them) don't qualify either.  They were a rock band that had roots from the 70's; they never got into the 80's scene.  
So who best exemplifies the 80's?  Considering the Hair, the Bad Clothes, the lame dance steps, their Britishness and (at the time unknown) sexual behavior, there is one clear choice in my book:  Wham!
The dynamic duo of George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley (yeah - the other guy) I think are the poster children for music in the decade of excess.  They (and by They I mean George), had the looks the charm, the throngs of teeny-bopper fans.  Good cases can be made for Duran Duran, Culture Club, and the rest, but I am not sure if they capture all the elements of the 80's along with the subsequent visceral reaction that Wham! seems to produce.
Let your vote be heard - please add your comment on who was the best (aka the worst) example of 80's music.

2 comments:

Heather said...

You can't forget about the Ladies of the '80s and the copycat fashions (Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Pat Benetar). I think another criteria should be "no career revival after 1990" - that rules out Madonna.

Aussie Mom said...

love george michael...jon hates it when i blare father figure

Bon JOVI!!!